Skip to main content

Frida Kahlo really said "My Body >>>"

 

Nicole Chikwe once asked a room full of young women, I inclusive, if anyone wanted to volunteer to list five things they loved about their bodies and why. My hand shot up faster than Hermione in Mcgonagall's class. For some reason, I had heard 'wrong' rather than 'loved' and assumed the request was for '5 things wrong with your body'. 

I stood up and yelled the one thing that irked me above all "my knees!".

Everyone laughed when I was told what the question really was. I had to pause and think before opening my big mouth again. Then Nicole said something I'd never thought about "it's very easy for us to mention all the things we hate about our bodies, but we hardly ever focus on the things that are positive about it, why not?" 

On the 6th of July, Frida Kahlo, one of history's most valued artists, would have been 114; but her body gave up before she could clock 50. Frida had an extremely broken body. 

First, polio made her right leg useless as a child, then in her teens, a vehicle collision sent a metal beam through her body shattering her spine, hip and right leg. Can you imagine the pain?

Frida had to stay flat on the bed for most of her life, but interestingly, it was in this position she connected with the love of her life--painting. And the glorious part? She was her own muse.

Frida produced masterpiece after masterpiece of self-portraits. She was a Mexican woman with strong features, but what was most unique about her face was her unibrow. Yep! She had a fuzzy strip of hair connecting her two brows, and a light moustache sitting nicely on her upper lip.

Frida Kahlo, Self-Portrait | Source: fridakahlo.org

The crazy thing about this woman is she ACCENTUATED both of these in all her self-portraits. It was so easy to get rid of them, but she didn't. She could have easily excluded them from her paintings, but again, she didn't. You would think a woman who had so many physical limitations would try to 'perfect' the one part of her body she had the most control over. Que estupendo!

I can not begin to tell you how incredibly astounding her self-acceptance was. She made herself the standard of beauty for herself. Her words: I am my own muse. The subject I know best. The subject I want to know better.

History has always been full of beauty standards that women use as the battleground to wage war on their bodies. New beauty trends can be the EXACT opposite of previous ones but still hold strong. But, in millennial language, Frida really said "my body >>>>>" 

Want to know something interesting? At one time in Greece, unibrows were seen as the height of attractiveness. It was such a powerful symbol of femininity that women would actually draw a line between their eyebrows, so they could have what genetics gave Frida for free.

We talk and hear a lot about body positivity these days, and I find it very amusing when the message is always "accept your imperfections". But, in the end, the entire movement really seems like a consolation party for not having the culturally prescribed 'perfect body'. And it's extremely amusing when women like this Instagram model, Sophia Pantelli, who rocks a bold unibrow, shout 'body positivity!' When the medical enhancements they've had are even visible to the blind.

My response to Nicole's question that day was "my eyes-they're big, pretty and remind me of my grandma; my lips are full and I love them; my afro, I love how the texture feels; my body shape, because it's easy to dress; and my melanin!"

It genuinely made me happy that day to realise what I was saying was true. I really do adore these parts of me. Nicole helped me begin a journey I'm grateful for, and Frida was just the signpost I needed to realise I'm going in the right direction.

I have truly come to love my body, even the things I always got teased about. Now, it all just seems so logical to me. I gain weight? Yay curves! I lose weight? Haha, more clothes fit! The variation that used to be a headache doesn't even matter to me anymore. I'm healthy, so why should it bother me?

The amusing thing is, it's other people that seem to have the most problem with it. It is questionable behaviour to many that I choose to wear my OWN hair most of the time. And Instagram has never once eased up on advertisements for 'boobs, hips and butt' oils that claim to turn twigs into Kim Kardashian. 

Unfortunately for marketing, I have truly chosen to be the standard of beauty for myself, and I'm glad I have a celebrated artist on my side.

How about you?


- Esohe Ewaenosa Iyare

P.s: I'd like to thank Ross, who reached out to me on Twitter to ask why I haven't posted in a while. It means so much to me that you value my writing. This one is dedicated to you.

If you liked this post, don't forget to subscribe 💓



Comments

  1. This is definitely what many of us need to hear/read over and over again in a world which is constantly telling us the opposite. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#EndSars: The Message You Deserve

Dear Nigerians, Taking a cue from the new 'he-who-shall-not-be-named', I would like to begin this open letter to you all by saying that it has become necessary for you to receive the message you deserve, for your hearts to be soothed, and your hope restored. The events of the past two weeks that culminated in the #LagosMassacre, especially at Lekki toll gate have been met with varied reactions: grief and despair by those who understood the essence of the #EndSars movement, but smug indifference and victim-blaming by those who did not care for the disruption of their routine. Firstly, let it be known that in the history of this millennium there has been no movement of such magnitude initiated, managed, and peacefully maintained by a decentralized online mobilization of youth, aside from ours. When else has it occurred that over a thousand young people trekked 32km--nearly thrice the length of the longest bridge in Africa--to Akwuzu in honor of all the young people whose promisin

The Joker: We're Laughing Our Way to Death

Joaquinn Phoenix stars as The Joker (2019) If you haven't heard about The Joker, then let me be the first to welcome you back from the bottom of the ocean. The Joker is a thrilling thought-provoking theatrical typhoon of a movie. It's the story of Arthur Fleck, a mentally troubled man oppressed by the disregard, and even contempt, of Gotham City (America) towards 'nobody's' like him. One of his mental illnesses makes him laugh uncontrollably at inappropriate times. Arthur tries to turn this lemon into lemonade by making it as a professional clown. But he ends up being treated like a social clown; he becomes the comedian that everyone thinks is a joke. Then he decided to switch things up. He chose to deliver a punchline so funny, that only he would understand; for the first time the joke would be on society. And this was it (video below *viewer discretion is advised*) The scene is a jolter isn't it? Joaquinn Phoenix surely earned his Oscar! (

John Wick: 3 Important Lessons

(7 minute read) John Wick is a sensational action block buster about a veteran assassin who is drawn back into the underworld by a desire for revenge. This revenge was directed at a fool of a boy, Iosef Tarasov (Alfie Allen), who out of idiotic youthful exuberance breaks into John's house with an accomplice, steals his car, and beats him up. All these could have been easily forgiven but for the final and most spiteful act: he killed John's dog in cold blood, with a single shot. Pause. Kindly observe a minute of silence for daisy the dog. It was the post-mortem gift of Jack's wife, Helen, to him. It was the last link he had to the woman he had done everything for.She was the reason he had to do the impossible to leave the underworld. And just like that, with one insolent move of a finger, Daisy was gone. If I were a person of great influence, I would MANDATE that you and every other human being on earth and in space (especially those studying Anthropology, Psycho